Fire Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
A Few Do's and Don'ts
There are plenty of potential fire risks in your home or business, but what should you do when the unfortunate event of fire loss happens to you? Calling us should be your first step. We are certified in fire restoration and cleanup for businesses and homes. While you wait for our emergency services, our team at SERVPRO of Whitemarsh has a few tips for you after fire damage.
Safety should be your number one priority. Please ensure your property is safe and deemed "all clear" by your local fire department before following any of these steps.
Have Smoke or Fire Damage? Call (610) 834-5405
What To Do After A Fire
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpets.
- Keep hands clean so as not to further soil upholstery, walls and woodwork.
- Place clean towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas.
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator and prop doors open.
- Clean and protect chrome with light coating of petroleum jelly or oil.
- Wash houseplants on both sides of leaves.
- Change HVAC filter.
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers.
What NOT To Do After A Fire
- Don't attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces or shampoo carpet or upholstery without contacting us.
- Don't attempt to clean any electrical appliances that may have been close to fire, heat or water without consulting an authorized repair service.
- Don't use any canned or packaged food or beverages that may have been stored near the fire, heat or water.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet. The wiring may be damaged.
- Don't send garments to an ordinary dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set smoke odor.